Our culture believes in POWERING YOUR POTENTIAL. We provide global opportunities to develop your career, make your community a better place and work with today’s most innovative thinkers to solve the world’s toughest problems.
We believe in flexibility for you to explore your passions while making an impact through meaningful work within our inclusive workforce. That’s what #LifeAtCummins is all about.
We are looking for a talented Corporate Counsel, Emissions Compliance to join our Corporate Legal team in Indianapolis, IN
The Cummins Legal function provides a full range of legal services in support of Cummins Inc. and its consolidated businesses. Our United States staff is located in Columbus and Indianapolis, IN. We also have international legal offices located in the United Kingdom, India, Australia, Brazil, China, Mexico and Africa. Through these various offices, we are able to support our businesses throughout the world.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
• Responsible for handling a variety of complex legal matters or projects across a wide range of businesses, regions and/or functions.
• Recognized as a developing expert in an area of law, specialty, function or geographic region; negotiates legal matters within the individual’s realm of responsibility
• Interpret relevant emissions, fuel economy, and product safety laws and regulations and actively advise Company engineers, technical staff, government relations/public policy staff, and management
• Help develop and provide guidance on regulatory compliance processes
• Work with leadership groups to develop policies, standards and objectives
• Represent the Company in meetings with regulatory agencies including Environmental Protection Agency, California Air Resources Board, and other federal and state authorities in environmental and regulatory matters
• Support responses to government investigations, rulemaking comments, and other submissions to government agencies
• Support development of strategies to defend and resolve enforcement actions and related litigation
• Assess compliance training needs in light of current policies, external developments and specific risk areas. Develop and deliver content to meet these needs
• Understand the business environment and use analytical skills and experience to set compliance priorities and recommend options to minimize compliance risk
• Work cross functionally
• May be allocated responsibility to support in management of a relationship with a business unit, business segment, region, or function
• Responsible for project and matter management with limited supervision; exercises independent judgment
• Shares in management of outside counsel relationships
• Acts as trusted advisor for mid to high level management; has strong grasp of business environment; effectively partners with clients to identify and design needed improvements; provides legal as well as practical advice within the appropriate business context; understands and manages client expectations
• Assists in development of legal strategies for business
• May influence or contribute to overall objectives and goals of organization
• Provides support and leadership in legal function projects
• May supervise and/or mentor one or more junior lawyers, paralegals or administrative assistants • Demonstrates specialization proficiency in one or more areas of law, specialty or function; acts as a resource to others
• May lead projects for the legal function
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
Action oriented - Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
Balances stakeholders - Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision quality - Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Manages complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
Manages conflict - Handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise.
Persuades - Using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
Project Issue and Risk Management - Manages the process to identify, assess and prioritize issues and risks using recommended tools and processes to minimize, monitor, and control the probability and/or impact of negative events or to maximize the realization of positive events.
Project Management - Establishes and maintains the "Balanced Triangle" of Scope, Schedule and Resources for a temporary effort (a "project").
Situational adaptability - Adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
Strategic mindset - Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
Education, Licenses, Certifications • Degree in law • License to practice law in home jurisdiction • Six Sigma Belt certification required • This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations
Compensation and Benefits Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
PLEASE BE ADVISED: Cummins has been made aware that there are a number of scams that take advantage of job seekers in a variety of ways. Depending on the scam, scammers look to collect confidential information to use for identity theft or try to get money from job seekers during the recruitment process. Cummins will never ask for money during the application, recruitment, or onboarding process. To learn more about the most common job scams, tips on how to avoid being scammed and federal reporting procedures, please visit consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0243-job-scams.
Employer will assist with relocation costs.
Cummins is a global power technology leader and corporation of complementary business units that design, engineer, manufacture, distribute and service engines and related technologies, ranging from fuel systems, controls and air handling to filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana, we're a team of more than 60,000 people worldwide serving customers in approximately 190 countries and territories through a network of more than 600 company-owned and independent distributor locations and approximately 7,400 dealer locations. In 2019, Cummins had a net income of $2.3 billion on sales of $23.6 billion.